Thursday, March 14, 2013

13/365 Waltz across the carpet 1-2-3, 2-2-3


I went to see Frightened Rabbit, a Scottish rock band, tonight at the Fonda Theater in Los Angeles. I got my ticket from a new friend I met about a week ago at another show. He got me on the guest list, and then couldn't make it himself. He missed a great show. Frightened Rabbit played a rousing set featuring a number of stirring rock anthems powered by grand guitar and organ riffs. But it was one song off of an earlier record that was the highlight for me; "Old, Old Fashioned." The song is a simple folk song that starts off with the lyric,

"I'll turn off the TV
It's killing us, we never speak
There's a radio in the corner
It's dying to make a scene”

We are asked to connect with those around us and then:

“We will waltz across the carpet
1-2-3, 2-2-3
So give me the soft, soft static
Of the open fire and the shuffle of our feet
We can both get old fashioned
Do it like they did in '43”

In this song, it's the promise of a better evening through the simple joy of being with someone, listening to music and dancing. Watching each other instead of the television makes for a better evening. It sure did tonight.

Come on, get old, old fashioned with me.

No comments: